German Rum Balls (Rumkugeln) are a Christmas favorite! These no-bake treats couldn’t be easier to make and are perfect to bring to holiday parties, to add to your cookie tray or for delicious post-dinner snacking. You can make chocolate rum balls with or without hazelnuts and adjust the rum flavor to your liking.
Tips for Making German Rum Balls
- Use the best quality chocolate you can.
- A mix of dark and light chocolate worked the best.
- If you don’t have rum, you can substitute rum extract.
- If you don’t want a strong rum flavor, add a little to start and add more to taste.
- I like to make half with hazelnuts and half without. Both are delicious!
- I intended to roll my rum balls in traditional chocolate sprinkles (jimmies) but I could find them anywhere! So, I rolled my German Rum Balls in cocoa powder. You could also use Christmas-colored sprinkles, chopped hazelnuts or mini chocolate chips.
Easy German Rum Balls Recipe
The first step is to melt the chocolate. I usually do this in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. You can also melt the chocolate in the microwave. Once the chocolate has melted, let it cool.
If using hazelnuts, toast and grind them.
The next step is to cream the room temperature butter until light and fluffy.
Then sift the powdered sugar into the butter and beat again until well incorporated.
Add the rum to the butter. You can use actual rum or rum extract. If you’re not sure how strong of a rum flavor you want, add maybe 1/3 of the rum, then add the rest to taste.
Then add the cooled chocolate to the butter and beat once more until smooth. Be sure to scrape down the sides a couple times. If you’re adding ground hazelnuts, add them now.
Cool the chocolate in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Roll into the chocolate into balls and then in cocoa powder, powdered sugar, sprinkles, (or Christmas sprinkles)
Let the rum balls set on parchment or wax paper. Try not to eat them all!
Store in an air-tight container.