This article may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure link for more information.
Like Muddy Buddies? Want something a little different this holiday season? Try this easy Speculaas Spice Muddy Buddies recipe!
Not sure what Speculaas Spice is? I’ve got you covered – keep reading for my super easy recipe. You’ll love it!
? About This Recipe
This favorite holiday crowd pleaser is one is for the chocolate lovers: Speculaas Spice Muddy Buddies!
This addictive snack mix features delicious chocolate coated cereal, pecans, and Dutch Speculaas Spice Mix. It’s like other muddy buddies (sometimes also called Reindeer Chow or Christmas Puppy Chow) but it has that amazing Dutch spice mix flavor.
The spice mix really takes this Christmas muddy buddies recipe up a notch. It’s SO good and just tastes like Christmas. It’s become one of my favorite snacks to munch on during the holidays.
Not only is this a delicious holiday snack, these muddy buddies are fun to make! Instead of decorating the same old sugar cookies, why not try something new this time of year?
Wait…where’s the mix with Golden Syrup?
You’re looking for this one: White Chocolate Christmas Chex Mix with Golden Syrup. This is a delicous sweet and salty homemade snack mix with pecans, white chocolate, pretzels, and Golden Syrup (see photo below).
I call it a Christmas mix because I often make it during the holidays but it’s one of those tasty treats that’s delicious all year long! Perfect for snacking or a dessert treat.
This Golden Syrup chex mix recipe used to live on this page but I recently moved it to it’s own page. I wanted to still include it here in case you’re here wondering where it went! You’ll find it right here.
Why You’ll Love Speculaas Spice Muddy Buddies
- It’s chocolatey, crunchy, and not overly sweet.
- You can make Dutch Speculass Spice mix at home in just a couple minutes. Use it in this recipe, as well as in these delicious Dutch Christmas cookies and many other holiday treats.
- This simple recipe uses simple ingredients and is quick and easy to make. You can whip up this snack mix in just a few minutes.
- No oven required! You don’t need to bake this snack mix in the oven.
- This easy sweet snack is the perfect recipe to make with family. It’s sure to become one of their favorite holiday recipes.
- It’s perfect holiday treat for sharing and makes a great holiday gift! Add Christmas m&ms for some festive color, pour into cute boxes or plastic baggies and you’ve got great gifts for friends, family or holiday parties.
- No candy red, green or white candy melts required! Perfect for those who prefer the taste of chocolate over candy melts.
- Bring a batch to a holiday party or to enjoy while watching cheesy holiday movies or for snacking on Christmas Day.
- This recipe uses the same “chex” cereal as my Golden Syrup Christmas Chex Mix so you can easily make both recipes with just one box of cereal. I made both mixes in about 30 minutes total.
- Unlike other puppy chow chex mix recipes, this one doesn’t include peanut butter – it’s the perfect treat for those who aren’t fans of that peanut butter flavor.
What You Need To Make Speculass Spice Muddy Buddies
- Rice, corn or wheat chex type cereal (any brand is fine)
- Pecans (salted & roasted)
- Chocolate chips
- Vegetable oil
- Vanilla extract
- Speculass spice mix (make your own with this recipe or buy a packet of it here in Amazon)
- Powdered sugar
- Medium saucepan
- Glass bowl that fits in the saucepan (in order to melt the chocolate – alternatively, you could also use a double boiler or a microwavable bowl in the microwave)
- Large mixing bowl
- Rubber spatula or wooden spoon
- Gallon-size ziplock bag or large plastic bag
Can I make these chex mix muddy buddies in the microwave?
To melt the chocolate for the muddy buddies you can use a microwave or your stove. If you use your stove, use a double boiler or fit a heat-proof glass bowl in a saucepan filled 1/4 full with water (make sure the water isn’t touching the glass bowl).
What kind of chex cereal do you use?
I typically use a box of rice “chex” from Aldi but you can use whatever brand you prefer. I like rice chex but corn chex or even wheat chex would work, too.
? Recipe Variations, Notes & Tips
- You can use rice, corn or wheat chex in this holiday puppy chow recipe.. Since you’ll add Speculaas Spice Mix you don’t need the extra flavor of cinnamon chex cereal but you could use it.
- Add salted, roasted peanuts or another kind of nut instead of pecans. Make sure they’re salted and roasted for the best flavor.
- Instead of chocolate chips, you could use your favorite brand of dark chocolate, bittersweet chocolate or a mix of dark and milk.
- For even more chocolate flavor, add red and green m&ms or other chocolate candies.
- You could add mini marshmallows for another texture and flavor or festive sprinkles for a little extra flair.
- Use more or less Speculaas Spice Mix to suit your taste.
- If you like muddy buddies with peanut butter, add creamy peanut butter to taste.
How to Make Speculaas Spice Muddy Buddy Mix
Note: click here for my easy Dutch Speculass Spice Mix recipe, which you will need to make this muddy buddy recipe.
1. Place chex cereal and pecans in a large bowl. Set aside.
2. Melt chocolate chips, butter, and oil together in the microwave in 10 second increments or on the stove. Stir chocolate mixture a few times to make sure everything is melted and combined.
3. Take melted chocolate off heat, add vanilla extract, and pour over cereal mix. Use a spatula and mix well but mix carefully so you don’t crush the cereal!
4. Place chocolate-covered cereal in a 1 gallon ziplock bag with the powdered sugar and Speculaas Spice Mix. Shake well until cereal is coated.
5. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature.
Be sure to check out my White Chocolate Christmas Chex Mix With Golden Syrup – it’s the perfect complement to these Speculaas Spice Muddy Buddies!